Saturday, October 11, 2014

GH - Then and Now

I really missed the boat by not writing about General Hospital from the 50th anniversary through the 51st. The storylines were interesting, well written, and beautifully acted.  I liked most of the returning characters and felt they were given just the right amount of material.

Lately though, I've not been enthused.  The entire story around Crichton Clark clinic was ridiculous.  I know that most of these people don't really die; there are ways to bring them back, but let's keep some sense of reality.  And now, no one recognizes Jason.  The old Jason's eyes would have been enough to draw in all the lovely women of Port Charles who were entranced with him and a few that weren't.  What about his voice?  Surely someone recognizes his voice?  Plus there is enough of him visible, unbandaged so clearly not operated on that you should be able to tell who he is.  Enough!

We have one story of mistaken identity that has already gone on too long.  Now I know that Anthony Geary is on leave and I certainly don't want to rush his recovery.  But we don't have to set up scenes that imply people are going to figure this out weeks before he is even due to be back on screen. If his leave is the full six months, I don't expect to see him until at least mid-November - a good month away.

Another story that was just awful as everything to do with Levi.  Of course this spilled over to Crichton Clark.  Everyone hated Levi.  We didn't love to hate him; we just plain hated him in every way.  And I gather that longtime viewers were scratching their heads and trying to jog their memories for Peter Harrow.  New viewers are certainly forgetting already.

I said that I liked most of the returning characters.  The exceptions are Scott and Lucy - most particularly Lucy. When she volunteered to go with Levi in place of the girls, I cheered "yes, yes, take her!"  They could have all disappeared never to be seen again and I would have been quite happy.  I don't think I've ever known a more annoying character than Lucy who was supposed to be liked.  She is useless to the storylines.

Scott has his moments but mostly I could do without him as well.  His only good scenes are with Franco.

The best Franco scenes are of course with Nutty Nina.  Michelle Stafford plays this character perfectly.  Nina awoke from a coma after over 20 years.  So she is in her early 40's physically with the maturity of a 19 or 20 year old.  When she was going on and on about what she used to call an "App" was priceless.  It was exactly the type of thing a young woman would brag about - irritating her mother - and also showing how she has missed 20 years of technology.  I also got a kick out of Rosalie correcting her from saying she wanted to 'gaggle.'  "You mean Google."  "Oh, like that makes more sense," Nina replied.  So perfect.

So we have some hits and misses.  It is still fun to watch.  I will tune in Monday to see who Tracy, Sam and Patrick meet in the cafe - not coffee shop for sure.  I know it won't be Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment